livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Skeptical Environmentalist

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Skeptical Environmentalist
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:21:06 -0700

Jealous? Wellll ... yes and no. Our four/four & 1/2 months frost free
pushes us. Got our first snow Friday and down to 2 degrees Sat nite. On the
other hand, we can grow what most can't in this climate, and very few have
what we have at the market. Squash bugs got all their squash, hail did a
number on their tomatoes, too dry, too windy, yada, yada. And like you we
have projects to start, much less complete, already. Have to re-cover the
plastic on the starter plant section of greenhouse, and dodge the cold
mornings and windy afternoons to get that behind me.

About the world at large, that's too big for me to worry about. Just try to
be part of the solution, not part of the problem. For the less fortunate
one-third of our population in U.S., "smooth transition" is already a cruel
joke. Just read someplace 6,000 people showed up to apply for 300 Wal-Mart
jobs, no full time, minimum wage, no benefits. It's that bad out there.
Soup kitchens are turning people away.