livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Farmers' Market Disappointment

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Farmers' Market Disappointment
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:27:20 -0700

That is a problem we see at our local markets. Barb keeps explaining to me
that people good at growing aren't necessarily good at marketing what they
grow.

For our part, we do push our produce as naturally grown and hand out easy
recipes with some items. Our price signs clearly advertise locally grown
without chemicals. If we don't have five more lined up we engage in
conversation about growing and cooking. But talking philosophy doesn't
reach them unless we tie it to flavor, freshness, safety, and nutrition.
After all, they can pay half the price at the supermarket for tasteless
garbage. We tell them that we select only certain heirloom varieties for
flavor, and it's true. We pick tomatoes dead ripe and tell them so (don't
squeeze the Charmin!) These carrots were harvested three hours ago, only
what'll sell today. The golden beets have the crisp leaves still attached
so you know they're fresh.

Talk it up, people! If it's great eating, say so! Give peas a chance!

Sell healthy!
Sell local!
Sell flavor!