livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] intrest

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] intrest
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:19:19 -0500

As I responded to another earlier:

Best overview of Earth's problems, with solutions - Plan B 2.0 by Lester Brown
Best explanation of how we got here - Guns, Germs and Steel or Collapse by Jared Diamond
Best intensive gardening overview - Getting the Most from Your Garden by Rodale
Best how-do-social-trends-work - The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Best "soil" book - Teaming with Microbes by Lowenfels & Lewis

That's three, right?

Want to add:  Best book on food - Real Food by Nina Planck

Note that this is pretty fuzzy logic opinion.  I considered not only "apparent" truth, but references and whether it's easy to read/understand.  There are lots of factual books that keep me re-reading passages because they weren't clear.  Diamond's books are tedious, but worth the effort.  Gladwell is sometimes hard to follow but, again, worth the effort.

Also, there are about 50 books in my pile or Amazon's wish list that are in future plans.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz