livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] flavorful strawberries

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] flavorful strawberries
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 06:48:03 -0700 (PDT)

I ate my first Alpine strawberry in northern CA when I taught a workshop there.  Over an hour north of Scramento.  I am not the one to advise you on varieties but others on this listserve can.  I ordered Alpine seed from Johnny's.  3-4 varieties are available.  Others have them.

Ken

yarrow@sfo.com wrote:
In my experience, *any* homegrown strawberry tastes better. I never
knew strawberries were juicy until I started growing my own! The
flavor is intense (helped by not fertilizing). I often taste the ones
at the farmers' market, and only once were those strawberries even
comparable to mine.

I'm growing several varieties; the one that's producing best this
year is Sequoia. I haven't been able to keep a couple plants of
alpine strawberries alive.

Growing my own food has made me unable to eat most store-bought varieties.