livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] flavorful strawberries

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] flavorful strawberries
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:45:20 -0700

In my experience, *any* homegrown strawberry tastes better. I never knew strawberries were juicy until I started growing my own! The flavor is intense (helped by not fertilizing). I often taste the ones at the farmers' market, and only once were those strawberries even comparable to mine.

I'm growing several varieties; the one that's producing best this year is Sequoia. I haven't been able to keep a couple plants of alpine strawberries alive.

Growing my own food has made me unable to eat most store-bought varieties.