livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Navaho Angora question

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "elderberryjam" <elderberryjam@zippytech.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Navaho Angora question
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 01:16:07 -0400

I think the Navajo Angora is probably a lot like other U.S. Angoras. They range their goats, and so like other American Angora goats, are probably crossed with other breeds to some degree, and bred back for the fleece qualities. I have a treasured picture I took of a Navajo herd 3 years ago when my DH and I were on our honeymoon. I didn't know at the time, of their preference to not have pictures taken. Their herds look very similar to others across the U.S..

The Angora goat was imported into the U.S. and descended from goats from the volcanic mountainous region of Ankara, Turkey. There is lots of rocky terrain there, and my understanding is that the original goats were small and more frail, with finer ringlet fleeces. A verse in the Song of Solomon refers to them. I first learned these things from a book, "Angora Goats the Northern Way," by Susan Black Drummond, whom I corresponded with before she died of breast cancer several years ago. I have read about these facts repeatedly since then in literature about Angora goats I happen across.

In the northern U.S., where I live, even those that have been crossbred for hardiness and bred back for the fleece qualities are much more frail than other breeds of goats. I have raised them, and found that they require quite a bit more attention than dairy or meat goats; or for that matter, any other livestock I've raised. They get more worms, more lice; their hooves need trimmed more often (some of them monthly), and they need shorn twice per year, unlike most sheep breeds which are shorn only once per year. Mohair dulls shear blades faster than wool. I have had up to 10 at one time, but currently have only 3 Angoras. They are much easier to raise in arrid states in the southwest in dry and rocky terrain. In the northern U.S., they require diligence, and I would only recommend them to the most studious and observant homesteaders, and only to those who are obsessed with them for the long haul.

I have had some success selling fleeces on Yahoo groups online to handspinners, but otherwise, mohair prices in the U.S. have not made raising them on a large scale worthwhile for a long time. Selling online requires a lot more computer and bookkeeping work. Angora goat farms in the north have dwindled from what they were about 14 years ago when I bought my first goats, and there was an organized northern co-op to buy mohair. It since fell through. Most farmers are getting out of them - their novelty has worn off pretty thoroughly. Some farmers get together and take a vanload to warehouses in Texas. The Aussies have a pretty good mohair industry going.

On the road trip we took on our honeymoon 3 years ago, we stopped by a Navajo shop not far into Arizona. There was a tufted mohair rug there. It looked just like fleece/skin from the top, but when turned over it was woven on the back. The mohair was a little coarser and wavier than the ringlet fleeces my goats produce; but that may have just been the goat the fleece came from for that rug combined with the tufting. It reminded me of the children's book, written about a Navajo woman and her goat, called "The Goat in the Rug."

I happen to love Angora goats, even if they are difficult to raise where I live. They have a more docile and more timid nature than other breeds, yet retain some mildly goaty personality. The ones I've had have been wonderful mothers and fathers. The Navajo herd I saw had only the novelty of being stewarded by Indians, and thus perhaps picked up on their personalities, but other than that, I think the breeding is not much different. Navajo Churro sheep - they are another story altogether.

There are labs you can send ANY home-raised fiber to, including wool, and they will measure the microns for you (the fineness of the fiber). Goats in the same herd, with similar breeding, will sometimes differ widely, and they differ by age also. I have never done this, but if you are serious about fiber animals, having smaller micron fibers is a good selling brag. With Angora's, their health is in greater balance because of the massive production of their fiber in one small animal. Goats fed higher quality grain and hay produce coarser hair also. Balancing health with fiber quality thus can become a challange. They are a labor intensive animal to have on your farm, as livestock go, and those buying any should keep this in mind.

They do like multiflora roses and kudzu - but then, so do shorthaired goats. Shorthaired goats don't get covered in burrs. Angora goats are beautiful creatures, but beautiful things sometimes require extra upkeep.

Gwen Giffen

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Navaho Angora question, elderberryjam, 08/19/2007