livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The End of Cheap Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The End of Cheap Food
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:09:35 -0600

Without getting into politics, we might remember that his WIN didn't work
and made Ford a laughingstock. Central government control of the economy
and the necessities of life is a main feature of totalitarian governments -
and doesn't work. I always stress it's the cumulative effect of the actions
of millions of us, the little people, that keeps the wheels turning and
food on the table. We can feed ourselves. We are the ones who build our
homes, raise children, arrange transportation - do all the work of the
world.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

"The real argument against aristocracy is that it always means the rule
of the ignorant. For the most dangerous of all forms of ignorance is
ignorance of work." - Our society is so abnormal that the normal man never
dreams of having the normal occupation of looking after his own property.
When he chooses a trade, he chooses one of the ten thousand trades that
involve looking after other people's property."
-- G.K. Chesterton

"Most people in our country, and apparently most people in the
"developed" world, have given proxies to the corporations to produce and
provide all of their food, clothing, and shelter. Moreover, they are
rapidly giving proxies to corporations or governments to provide
entertainment, education, child care, care of the sick and the elderly, and
many other kinds of "service" that once were carried on informally and
inexpensively by individuals or households or communities."
-- Wendell Berry in The Idea of a Local Economy

"If America could be, once again, a nation of self-reliant farmers,
craftsmen, hunters, ranchers and artists, then the rich would have little
power to dominate others. Neither to serve nor rule: That was the American
dream,"
- - Ed Abbey wrote in his journal. From Earth Could Use Friends Like
Abbey, John Balzar in LA Times