livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The End Of Cheap Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Alan Whitaker <alan@dunbrokeus.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The End Of Cheap Food
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 06:08:29 -0500

It's time that food prices go up in this country. For too long, people have expected cheap food and poor farmers. For me, when I sit down and figure my wages from farming, I'm making less than $5/hr. Plus, I have a mortgage to pay and some equipment costs.
If I try to raise eggs, to break even I need $1.50/doz. but the grocery store sells them on sale at .33/doz.
I milk a cow and sell raw milk. Good milk at the store is $4.55/gal. now and I get dirty looks when I ask $3/gal. My cow cost me $1200 and I milk by hand. I milk three goats and end up feeding their milk to the pigs. I raise a few hogs. I have 5 sows and a boar. Got 28 babies on the ground now. Tried to sell them and sold one. I've got pigs running out my ears..............but if the weather will cool some down here, I'll start eating them.
We are competing against the large corporations whom our government subsidizes and we have no way of competing other than taste, and the concept of folks wanting to support the small farmer. But higher food prices are long in coming, and I hope that they don't go down. American consumers are spoiled rotten.
Alan Whitaker
Georgiana, AL