livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Tomatoes was And here's Ecology Action Books

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Tomatoes was And here's Ecology Action Books
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 17:58:17 -0400

Interesting!  The only Italian tomatoes I see here are Roma's.  Most of the tomatoes in this area are Rutgers and Homestead.  Although my Grandmother grew the BEST German beefsteak tomatoes.  Can't find those anymore though.  One slice would cover a slice of bread and there were dozens on each plant.  They were fluted like the Fiorentino, but more deeply fluted, and the red was a duller shade of red, but definitely NOT pink like some of the German tomatoes I keep seeing in catalogs.  I sure wish I had been able to have saved seeds from some of her tomatoes. :o(
Norma