livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Tomatoes was And here's Ecology Action Books

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Tomatoes was And here's Ecology Action Books
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:53:10 -0600

Look out, you asked my favorite question ;-) So here goes. We feel the
European heirlooms are the great undiscovered country in home and market
growing.

It's an old Italian heirloom, handed down for generations, bred over time
for the Mediteranean climate. Barb knew it as a kid since her parents came
from Italy. But there's a question whether I have Costoluto Genovese or
Costoluto Fiorentino. The original packet from Franchi said Genovese, but
mine are less fluted and look more like Fiorentino. I suspect some of the
catalogs get the two mixed up in their photos.

There's a Fiorentino shot at Seeds of Italy
http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/Index_Seeds_Of_Italy.html . Also at
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/midseason.htm . It says:
"This Italian heirloom variety from the Tuscany region produces loads of
bright red tomatoes with terrific flavor. Tomatoes are typically about 8
ounces, but may be larger, with a smooth shape rather than the heavily
ribbed shape typical of Costoluto Genovese. The flavor is high in sugar,
but also high in acid, making for outstanding taste that's wonderful fresh
or made into sauces. Indeterminate. 80 days." Also a shot of Genovese.

We also have a bed of Principe Borghese, and Quadrato d'Asti Rosso Pepper
among others. I'm trying this year Tomato 'Merveille des Marchés' . "This
tomato's name means "market marvel," and it is the only tomato listed in
Vilmorin's 1904 catalog that is still grown today. Brilliant red, round
fruits packed with flavor, for fresh use or cooking."
http://www.frenchgardening.com/item.html?pid=SEVE106

We're partial to a seed company right here in New Mexico (of all places),
and a local nursery carries their seed from Bavicchi, an Italian seed
house. http://www.gourmetseed.com/heirloom_tomato_seed.0.html . That's the
one site I'd go to if I didn't have time to check them all. So we're
growing a dozen old world heirlooms for market this year. We needed
something to set us apart from bigger growers in the Rio Grande valley,
plus we're the new kid on the block.