livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Genius of Apples

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Larry Lombard" <ljmelea@msn.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Genius of Apples
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 04:32:01 -0500

can i buy apple trees from this man?thanks,larry

From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 08:18:35 -0600

There's his book, Old Southern Apples, by Creighton Lee Calhoun (Hardcover
- Oct 1996) 2 Used & new from CDN$ 131.14 - if you want to spend that kind
of money ;-)
http://www.amazon.ca/s?ie=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books-ca&field-author=Cr
eighton%20Lee%20Calhoun&page=1

On 5/28/2007 at 8:30 AM Larry Lombard wrote:

>how would i get more info on this apple source?thank you,larry
>

>>From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
>>To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
>>Subject: [Livingontheland] The Genius of Apples
>>Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 09:46:39 -0600
>>
>>The Genius of Apples
>>OCTOBER 4, 2000
>>
>>There's a hearty band of hunters ransacking the South, says Lee Calhoun,
>>hunting for old Southern apples. They are tracking down apple trees in
the
>>front yards of old country homes that may disappear tomorrow. Time is
>>running out for these hunters. Of the 1,400 apple varieties known to have
>>originated in the South, only about 200 are still known to exist. "The
>>others are totally extinct," says Calhoun, "and when that happens, you
>lose
>>a whole apple. Most of these trees were planted in the early 1900s. I'd
>say
>>we only have about five years left to find them."

snip