livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] DIY drip

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] DIY drip
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 10:50:26 -0500

An alternative, that winds up about the same cost as commercial drip equipment, is spray stakes.  They have larger openings, so don't clog as often, and can operate at higher pressures.  Although they are not as efficient as drip, and certainly not as inexpensive as the home-made systems Ken described (very ingenious, by the way), they are a bit more flexible than drip systems.  Each spray stake is on its own length of small tubing, allowing you to move them around as crops change, while the main distribution line stays put.  This is especially useful for container crops, such as I work with, because they come and go fairly often.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz