livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] changing to organic and/or no-till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>, "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] changing to organic and/or no-till
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:52:49 -0500 (CDT)

Just this past weekend I watched The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived
Peak Oil and noted that they're not doing no-till. Cuba has put a lot of
study and effort behind their move toward more sustainability and organics,
yet, from what I could tell (lots of oxen and clips of oxen-pulled plows),
they're still doing tilling.

What gives? Does anyone have any first-hand information on this/Cuba?

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>

Paul, Organic, no-till works but the reason more farmers or mini-farmers
or gardeners do not change to it is in their head; not in the garden. I
guess that is harsh but it is true. I have seen it here and in every country
I have taught in. When I am told about someone who did it and failed and I
learn what happened, it is the gardener who failed; not the method. Ken
Hargeheimer