livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Market gardening

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Market gardening
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 00:17:18 -0700 (PDT)

As a service-oriented business owner I see this all
the time. New to sales, unfamiliar with being teachers
and not having the answers to questions can be a great
torment to new business owners. In my industry many
of these questions were asked when I worked under
other people and all the answers yet available have
publications that I can refer to and display. As I
apprenticed I was introduced to these sources and
coached through appropriate dialog to use, as well as
what dialog land-mines to avoid at all costs, a range
of useful information sources to common questions and
sales courtesy. You would think that people can come
up with all that by themselves, but not really. That
is actually a whole slew of stuff done by many people
and only assembled partially in me.

Just like Market gardening people get into my industry
because we don't do well in cubical life and don't do
well, either, as sales marketeers. Even today, as my
new business is reaching it's full capacity I can
honestly say I am a lousy sales person, but I love
what I do and I love talking about it and teaching,
which works very well instead of sales. The greatest
problem is lack of information to hand out and lack of
assurance that comes from practice.

In Market gardening you seem to just have to start out
at racetrack speed to catch up with your expenses and
darned little in the way of coaching through all those
loops.

This seems to be a very specific problem, saying that
they just need to "shazam"! BE! fully cultivated
market educators without any experience or
preparation, and without referring them to methods of
preparation, sounds just about as useful as me telling
my kid to grow up already.

Fortunately there are market garden How-To manuals
on-line and perhaps we can suggest doing part-time
work for other people who are already succeeding.
That would give both information, aaaaand the critical
practical experience.

Yours, Pego

<<Laurie wrote: One family in our community
experimented with market gardening last year, and it
was going pretty well, though certainly not a living.
... and then having questions asked because her
produce looked weird because it was healthy...
Hellooooo??>>

<<I bet it wouldn't turn you away if it was a very
lucrative business, as it should be if it's done
right. That family's whining about customer
attitudes sounds exactly like a cover for failing in
the business. >>Pau>>

the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder
tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/