livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Market farming

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Market farming
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:06:34 -0600

We don't really disagree - by treating it as a business I mean paying
attention to what goes into profit and loss. Because if you don't you'll be
*out* of business very soon. And one more grower won't be providing good
healthy food to people. I believe if you look at the big picture,
agribusiness is a rather a corruption of business, a nasty collusion among
corporate criminals and criminal government, taking our tax money and
passing it out mainly to the biggest donors to campaign coffers. This is
far from the honest grower simply working to make a businesslike profit
with a good product and willing buyers.

Some excellent points though that bear repeating. Agree, farmers can't all
move near a good market, and the usual prices don't reflect all the costs
of production - including all the subsidized fossil fuels embedded in the
system.

However, until scarcities and serious contamination problems become
commonplace, growers who aren't near a good market probably shouldn't be
growing. Or should move elsewhere if they want to meet their market. In a
pinch we can probably grow something that will sell locally no matter where
we are. Can't guarantee we'll make a living on it in Hardscrabble, Nevada,
but the fact is most people like to eat three meals a day. And food is
numero uno necessity of life. Then water, shelter, clothing, and Dish
Network ;-)

I think your last paragraph there was most perceptive but I'll stop here
to get back in the garden before the clouds get any darker. Right now I'd
give a lot for some way to transplant tomatoes and squash without getting
down on my knees. It's the getting back up that's slowing me down, even
with a good knee brace.