livingontheland - [Livingontheland] (no subject)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Johnny Stansell <jgstansell@yahoo.com>
  • To: Livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 17:01:56 -0700 (PDT)

Ken:
  I was raised on a small dairy farm in Fluvanna, Texas not too far from Crowell.  I'll watch for that edition of Texas Reporter. We need to work towards local production of foods, but it will take a big switch from current buying habits to get much done.  I've read that you can do very well on a farm stand selling produce, but can't stand much competition because there just aren't enough people that buy that way.  Hopefully more people will start buying locally so gradually more farmers can start growing crops for local consumption.  To be honest I don't know how it would work.  If you had 100,000 people show up at your market there would be nothing left in a few minutes and then they wouldn't come back.  It's not like 100 years ago when 85% lived rural and everyone grew crops for their families and maybe a little to sell or trade.  People like one stop shopping.  Maybe if a large local group of farmers pooled resources and opened a large grocery with lots local produce and other junk (plastic stuff) etc...  Or we could all go back to the way it was once done and stop chasing money to live in todays fast society????

Johnny Stansell

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.