livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 13:07:46 -0600

Hit the nail on the head, Mark. I think you're right about revolutions -
the political, violent ones - and you named one of my basic tenets from
Bucky Fuller. We won't change corporate agribusiness head on. We make it
obsolete by growing the alternative food distribution system with millions
of small growers producing sustainably and either growing our own or
selling locally direct, bypassing most or all the middlemen.

THIS is revolutionary. But there's an interesting coincidence to all this.
Growing local is a good defense to cut down our vulnerability to food
inflation or shortages or fossil fuel problems, and at the same time it
cuts down our support for the agribusiness machine. With fewer grocery
buyers, the big commercial growers on welfare have fewer and fewer
consumers to push their garbage off on. They can't stay in business without
us. It's a win-win scenario, and one that requires no sacrifice on our part
- just foresight and determination.

That is why we push Living On The Land. The ripple effect could spread far
and wide. Might call it "the first herd shot around the world" ... ;-)