livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Brix

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Brix
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 10:22:07 -0600

What I've read backs you up on this, Dan. True, you don't want to compare
apples and oranges (pun intended). And beyond comparing your own plants or
fruit, you can compare the brix of your own produce to the supermarket
junk. That's where the real fun starts. The differences are staggering.

Then you think about depleted soil, mined by decades of NPK farming.
Mineral losses are documented. And we're just beginning to appreciate the
complexities of soil biology and its role in nutrition. Sick soil, sick
animals, sick people.

When we think about cutting our food budget, or how much trouble it is to
grow our own, let's think about what we're already paying for "health
care".

In that context, brix is more than just sugar or dissolved solids.