livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The Future of Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The Future of Agriculture
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:20:04 -0600

http://www.acresusa.com/magazines/archives/0307InterviewHeinberg.htm

HEINBERG. ..the reason we’ve created the kind of agricultural system we
have today is that we’ve had access to very cheap sources of energy.
We’ve used fossil fuels to run giant farm machinery and to transport food
ever-further distances and in ever-larger quantities, to process food and
to store food and so on. When we no longer have access to that cheap fuel,
after global oil production peaks and oil starts to become more scarce and
expensive, we will have to rethink agriculture. It would help enormously if
we started that process ahead of time and began the kind of transition that
will inevitably take place in a proactive way, because if we simply wait
for events to unfold, it’s likely that it will be a very chaotic and
destructive kind of transition, and many people could suffer as a result.

The Future of Agriculture
Why Peak Oil & Pollution Mandate a New Farming Paradigm
Interview: Richard Heinberg
March 2007, Acres U.S.A.

  • [Livingontheland] The Future of Agriculture, TradingPostPaul, 04/06/2007