livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Food & agriculture news - Apr 4

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>, "J.C. & Paula Mayfield" <mayfield4@mindspring.com>, "Elaine & Joe Viveros" <jevive@aol.com>, "Carole & Dave Coito" <Dacarrotts2942@netzero.net>, "Marlee & Rich Wilson" <grandie1@earthlink.net>, "Douglas & Hillary Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>, "Nina Karavasiles" <nina@ninak.info>, "Carol & Steve Moore" <buddydepp@peoplepc.com>, "Helen & Jerry Mitchell" <jdmhdm@aol.com>, "Jan & Phil Patton" <janphilpatton@aol.com>, "Kathleen Reinders" <katreinders@aol.com>, "Linda Carpenter" <forkliftlady@hotmail.com>, "Linda & Steve Meimetis" <meimetis@aol.com>, "Melody & Pete Odriscoll" <modriscoll@earthlink.net>, "Sam Kemp" <junglegirlsam@netzero.net>, "Sandra & Brian Drake" <snddra5@aol.com>, "Sean & Julie Ihde" <oakedokey@aol.com>, "Stacey Landfield" <slandfield@msn.com>, "Vi & Jerry McCLaire" <McClaireW@aol.com>, "Janice & Al Acosta" <rejanma@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Food & agriculture news - Apr 4
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:54:00 -0700

Food & agriculture news- Apr 4

For a Greener Garden
Karen Springen, Newsweek

All gardens may look green, but some are greener than others. Truly green, or organic, gardens are free of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides and filled with native plants that need minimal amounts of extra water. They're good for the environment, and they're safe for kids and pets to play in. Planting one is simpler-and cheaper-than you might think. Some earth-friendly tips:
Native plants...
Water ...
Composting ...
Mulch ...
Herbicides [avoid them]...
Pollinators and bugs...
(9 April 2007)
The ideas are not new to green-minded gardeners, but it is refreshing to see them in Newsweek. Another example of how ideas that seemed outlandish a few years ago now become the common wisdom. -BA

Heinberg interview: Why Peak Oil & Pollution Mandate a New Farming Paradigm

Acres U.S.A.

Richard Heinberg is more than a spokesman for the vision that sees beyond the age of oil. He is a son of northern Missouri (now CAFO hog country) from an industrial farm supply family - his father was a quality control chemist, for which reason Richard discovered firsthand much of the bad science that now has the upper hand in agriculture.

In the questions and answers that follow, Richard Heinberg concludes that too many farmers have disappeared since World War II, and the nation has been consistently short of independent growers. This shortage will be exacerbated as oil to service the overindustrialized world continues to falter.

ACRES U.S.A. According to the biblical book of Joel, old men dream dreams and young men see visions. Are we looking at dreams or at visions in what you recently presented at the annual E.F. Schumacher lecture?

RICHARD HEINBERG. It’s probably more in the category of visions. It’s pretty clear what the world needs in terms of future agriculture and future food production. Whether we’ll actually get there is quite a different question, because right now we’re on exactly the wrong track. We’re going to have to make a pretty dramatic change in our agricultural priorities if we’re going to arrive at anything like a sustainable system that will actually feed future generations. What I’ve tried to do is lay out a vision of what’s possible.

ACRES U.S.A. What is possible?

HEINBERG. Using the knowledge that we’ve built up over the last several decades about organic farming, about small-scale food production using techniques such as permaculture and bio-intensive and so on, I think it’s possible for us to produce food in a way that doesn’t destroy topsoil, in a way that preserves fresh water and that feeds as many people as we have in the world today. But it’s going to require a lot more people doing the work of producing the food, because truly sustainable agriculture is a much more labor-intensive process.
(March 2007 issue)

Oil, climate change threaten food supply: B.C. report

Randy Shore, Vancouver Sun

Climate change and rising oil prices are a threat to B.C.'s ability to feed itself in the future, scientists and planners say.

...The agricultural industry's reliance on fossil fuels for irrigation, processing, harvesting, refrigeration, transport and the production of fertilizer means that as the world's oil supply wanes and fuel prices spike, we should not expect to be eating Chilean grapes and Mexican lettuce in a few years time, according to Vancouver architect and planner Rick Balfour. Balfour, who obtained the ministry report through Freedom of Information legislation, envisions a near-future in which virtually everything we eat will have to be produced locally.

Balfour, who served as chairman of the Vancouver Planning Commission until last week, has organized "war games" sessions for planning and futurist conferences in which people try to work out how societies and economies reorganize as a result of oil price shock. The "re-ruralization" of the suburbs -- tearing up low-density neighbourhoods to grow crops -- is a typical scenario, he said.

...Within seven to 10 years fuel prices are going to spike dramatically, Balfour said. Peak oil theory predicts a massive rise in oil prices as oil production reaches maximum outputs and production begins to fall. Scientists and planners predict that a painful reorganization of the global economy will follow the peak and subsequent decline in oil production.
(2 April 2007)

What's happening to the bees

Moises Velasquez-Manoff, Christian Science Monitor

Scientists call it "colony collapse disorder" (CCD). First reported in Florida last fall, the problem has since spread to 24 states. Commercial beekeepers are reporting losses of between 50 and 90 percent, an unprecedented amount even for an industry accustomed to die-offs.

Many worry that what's shaping up to be a honeybee catastrophe will disrupt the food supply. While staple crops like wheat and corn are pollinated by wind, some 90 cultivated flowering crops - from almonds and apples to cranberries and watermelons - rely heavily on honeybees trucked in for pollinization. Honeybees pollinate every third bite of food ingested by Americans, says a Cornell study. Bees help generate some $14 billion in produce.

Research is only beginning and hard data is still lacking, but beekeepers suspect everything from a new virus or parasite to pesticides and genetically modified crops.
(4 April 2007)

Many more articles are available through the Energy Bulletin homepage

  • [Livingontheland] Food & agriculture news - Apr 4, Douglas Willhite, 04/05/2007