livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Personal responsibility

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: ernieyacub@gmail.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Personal responsibility
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:27:21 -0700

linda wrote:
Seems that humans are incredibly stubborn and greedy.

that's what genes are for, building a fortress around our own and resisting change.

So much for taking
care of the seventh generation.

the rich do that very well, for their own families.

for the rest of us it's hard to do when your whole life is organized to make the most (for the least) of current opportunities - making money, investing in property (or whatever), helping your children get diplomas (law, engineering, medicine, etc) so they can do better than you did because everybody knows the way to the top.

or just surviving, not knowing how you're going to pay the rent and feed your family.

We need to stop having children then if we
haven't the maturity to take care that their world is something that is
worth passing on down to them.

some people do, but genes rule - the poorer you are the more children you have.

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/04/02/268/

<<<snip>>>>Few people are making significant changes to their lifestyle to
counter climate change despite a widespread acceptance of its dangers,
according to new research.

the problem with this comment and gore's film is that it diverts attention from the problems and tries to effect change by making people feel guilty, so they go out and get a few fluorescent bulbs.

i think most people think it's impossible to make the kind of changes that are needed - there's a huge gulf between the problems and the individual solutions that are offered.

how many of you can stop driving your cars or afford to buy a new, energy efficient vehicle?

besides, we're sheep following the herd of metal monsters on the freeways to and from work/school/shopping - everybody else is doing it, and what difference is it going to make if i stop?

especially when the "leaders" are spending billions on war making machines, burning oil, ramping up the war industries - if they're not redirecting their massive resources to dealing with peak oil and climate change, it can't be much of a problem can it?

your gov won't even deal with hurricane victims or take care of your own injured soldiers properly.

these are systemic and political issues that need to be addressed collectively, and we need independent media to do that but the same corporations that own the war making machines own the media and the government.

sorry for going off, but it touched on a subject i've been thinking about for a while - how mainstream media propaganda completely distorts our view of the world and how it works - how it focuses on the individual and ignores the collectivity.

ernie
north west kanuckistan
yakinfo.blogspot.com