livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] nutrient value of fresh food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] nutrient value of fresh food
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:55:46 -0700

I don't understand. Hasn't it been known for ages that vegetables and
fruits start losing vitamins soon as they're picked? Just my opinion but I
think they start losing more than the identified vitamins. We really have
no idea what enzymes and other compounds may be involved. And other things
we've never guessed?

Biology is not an exact science. Your own taster may be the best scientist.

I always wonder how much nutrition is left in all the processed ORGANIC
products in the organic stores - which comprises 90% of what they stock.
The stuff travels just as far as the supermarket groceries, and how long it
sits on the shelf is anybody's guess.