livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] locally adapted varieties, was DIET FOR A DEAD PLANET

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] locally adapted varieties, was DIET FOR A DEAD PLANET
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:45:16 -0500

Maybe not everywhere in Texas, but I grew up in Central Texas, and there used to be a LOT of corn.  The Three Sisters is a traditional Southwestern Native American combination planting of corn, beans and squash that provides for complete nutrition in a small area.

This is a good example why one's personal experience or local experience is not sufficient.  If I had not studied the subject, I would never have heard of it either.  There is value in the knowledge and experience of others, including anthropologists and academics.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz