livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Cooler

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <bob@4agoodauction.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Cooler
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:45:07 -0600

It has been my experience that cooler air runs down to the lowest point. Much like when you walk down by a creekbed you feel much cooler. So when considering a design I would slope the pipe down that is going toward the cupboard cooler. On the intake side I would have the pipe, where it came out of the ground, extend up about eight feet in the air. By doing so you will avoid the heat radiance close to the ground and promote the flow of cool air. Last but not least put a 15% angled cover over the top so cold and hot are seperated as much as possible coming in thru the venturi like opening. The top would be an over hang of an inch or so.slanting down at the 15% angle with the total opening about 80% of the inside volume of the pipe. That forces the air going in to make a turn. In turning the cooler is drawn in as it is capable of making a tighter turn than the warmer parts of the air. You achieve a little seperation. I said last but not least, however on the design of the cupboard itself---if it worked like and Indian teepee then the over all effect of air movement would be increased. As the coolest air enters an exchange occurs with the stored items in the bottom of the teepee and is heated the heated air begins to rise and as  the teepee tapers the speed increases until it goes through the top narrow portion of the teepee. If some of the hot attic air were to be injected in the narrow area the vacuum effect of the venturi might increase the over all flow a bit more. All being passive makes the thought good.
Bob c