livingontheland - [Livingontheland] American Farmland Trust's E-news

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] American Farmland Trust's E-news
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 12:50:55 -0700

American Farmland Trust's E-news
March 2007
From: American Farmland Trust <action@farmland.org>
Subject: Congressional Awards, Growing Wisconsin, Urgent Action and more

Workshops Spur Interest in Farmland Protection

The recent "Growing Wisconsin" workshops provided farmers, landowners,
local and state officials and planners with the opportunity to learn from
some of the nation's leaders in protection of working lands, including
AFT's Regional Director Scott Everett. "There is great potential for
farmland protection in Wisconsin but it takes leadership to get these
programs off the ground," said Everett. "There appears to be good solid
leadership at both the local and state levels in Wisconsin, so we will
see how things go in the future." The workshops discussed ways
to protect working lands through the use of voluntary programs, such
as purchase and transfer of development rights, and land use policies.

"Growing Wisconsin" Workshops:
http://action.farmland.org/site/R?i=bc-MBDJQMmS1AqEQr4Uzww..

AFT's Wisconsin State page:
www.farmland.org/programs/states/Wisconsin.asp

Leaders Honored with AFT's Inaugural Congressional Steward of the Land
Awards

AFT awarded its esteemed Congressional Steward of the Land Award to
three Senators and three Congressmen. AFT honored Senators Patrick
Leahy (D-VT), Tom Harkin (D-IA) and Richard Lugar (R-IN), and
Representatives Sam Farr (D-CA), Marcy Kaptur (D-OH) and Wayne
Gilchrest (R-MD) for their profound commitments to conservation and
farmland protection. "It is a great honor to recognize true champions of
conservation and farmland protection," said Ralph Grossi, AFT president.

So We Have a Farmland Protection Program...How Do We Pay For It?

More than 25 states and 55 local communities have Purchase of
Agricultural Conservation Easement (PACE) programs to protect important
farm and ranch land. However, the biggest challenge often is not putting
the program in place but in finding ways to fund it. Who benefits and who
pays? How much money can be raised? AFT's Sources of Funding Fact Sheet
[PDF] provides an overview of funding
sources and issues to address when deciding how to pay for farmland
protection programs.

AFT's Farmland Information Center-PACE Funding:
www.farmlandinfo.org/farmland_preservation_literature/index.cfm?function=art
icle_view&articleID=27750

You Can Make A Difference

When we lose farmland, we lose our most fertile and productive agricultural
soils, habitat for wildlife, local jobs and community businesses. We invite
you to join AFT as a member today. Your
membership support will help AFT continue programs that protect our
important working lands, support local farms, and promote a farm
policy that serves farmers, ranchers and your community. New members
who join online will receive all AFT membership benefits plus the
exclusive AFT edition of The 2007 Old Farmer's Almanac.

Join Today by copy and pasting the link below into your browser:
http://action.farmland.org/site/R?i=BiIsBmyc-BYzLIaRVCrwsQ..

Already a member? Help us update our records by copy and pasting the link
below into your browser.
http://action.farmland.org/site/R?i=Uw-enj7nRYRH-3opGyREAg..

Around the Country

USDA's Farms and Loss of Farms Report shows that North Carolina
is leading the nation in the loss of farms.
www.farmland.org/programs/states/NCUSDAReport.asp

AFT testified before the New York State Assembly Ways and Means and
Senate Finance Committees to urge the state legislature to
significantly increase farmland conservation funding.
www.farmland.org/programs/states/NewYorkTestimony.asp

Virginia's general assembly took a big step forward for farmland
preservation this year when they provided $4.3 million for a statewide
program for purchase of development rights (PDR) over the next two
years.
www.farmland.org/programs/states/Virginia.asp

California is the world's twelfth largest source of greenhouse
gases, but the state is about to become the nation's leader in
reducing their impact on global climate.
www.farmland.org/programs/states/CAClimateChange.asp

In Pennsylvania, HB 318 will authorize municipalities to acquire
highway corridor conservation easements and provide for highway
corridor overlay zoning.
www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=
2007&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0318&pn=0359

Connecticut's Working Lands Alliance launched "The Face of Connecticut
Campaign" and called for a $1 billion investment
over 10 years in land conservation.
www.workinglandsalliance.org/

Keep a lookout for the Farm and Ranch Land Protection Program Request for
Proposals, which is expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/frpp/

  • [Livingontheland] American Farmland Trust's E-news, TradingPostPaul, 03/08/2007