livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Slightly off-topic: DR woodsplitters

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Slightly off-topic: DR woodsplitters
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 09:15:21 -0700

Thanks Dawn, it needed to be more explicit about related matters. I
modified the list description page to include your wood question as well as
others with related concerns in the past, all about sustainable use of the
land.

Here's how it reads now:

Intensive, organic soil building is basic to growing much more in less
space with better nutrition, more profitable growing through less bought
inputs, less need for water, fewer losses from pests and disease, and less
vulnerability to fossil fuel problems now or in the future. What ways this
can best be pursued in different soils and climates leaves a lot of room
for discussion. We deal with the widespread problems of loss of soil
minerals, humus, nutritional content of produce, and loss of topsoil
itself, as well as the cost-price squeeze faced by real organic growers,
the shrinking supply of affordable land for growing and irrigation water,
and the need to increase the supply of nutritious food while making healthy
food more affordable in general. Our generation cannot continue to plunder
the soil capital of future generations.

We include sustainable food growing from home garden to market garden,
fruits, nuts, berries, fungi, and vegetables, in addition to food and work
animals. This extends to management of the homestead, land, and forest as
it relates to sustainable food production, as well as sustainable use of
the land for human habitat.

Living On The Land is not a commercial forum for profit promotions, nor a
chat forum, and is sensibly moderated to ensure discussions are related to
the topic.