livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Slightly off-topic: DR woodsplitters

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Dawn M. Ripley" <ripley@iglou.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Slightly off-topic: DR woodsplitters
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 23:43:21 -0500

Intensive, organic soil building is basic to growing much more in less space with better nutrition, more profitable growing through less bought inputs, less need for water, fewer losses from pests and disease, and less vulnerability to fossil fuel problems now or in the future. What ways this can best be pursued in different soils and climates leaves a lot of room for discussion. We deal with the widespread problems of loss of soil minerals, humus, nutritional content of produce, and loss of topsoil itself, as well as the cost-price squeeze faced by real organic growers, the shrinking supply of affordable land for growing and irrigation water, and the need to increase the supply of nutritious food while making healthy food more affordable in general. Our generation cannot continue to plunder the soil capital of future generations.

We've discussed things related to the homestead, of course, but I didn't think it was the list's primary purpose, hence the disclaimer.

I'm planning to burn the wood I split in my glass-enclosed, woodburning fireplace.

Dawn