livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Radical rainwater

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Radical rainwater
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:53:58 -0700

This subject came up on our other list Old Ways Living, but belongs here
too.

Last year we caught up with Brad Lancaster doing a talk about his book,
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, at Plants of the Southwest nursery in
Albuquerque. Highly recommend it at http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/ .
The boy has a good entertaining style and actually has some new ideas on a
very old subject.

Praise for Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, Volume 1
“Through some bizarre irony, rainwater in the arid west is typically
deflected away from water-starved land and shunted off to storm drains. Not
so in Brad Lancaster’s universe. He welcomes rainwater into the landscape
with creativity, intelligence and humor and puts it to use growing food,
shading houses, reducing erosion, improving wildlife habitat, and enriching
the urban environment. In Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, he welcomes us
to join him in exercising the radicial common sense of harvesting
rainwater.”
- Ann Phillips, Manager of Restoration Projects, Tucson Audubon Society

“Buy this book now. If you live in a dry place, buy it. If you live
somewhere subject to droughts (which is everywhere), buy it. The simple
techniques (and the principles behind them) can help you save bunches of
money, and make the landscape around you more productive and beautiful,
with less work and upkeep than you can imagine. Lend it to your neighbors,
and you’ll benefit as well. (Heck-buy them each a copy.) This how-to
manual has enough stories, illustrations and simple ideas to inspire even
the most unhandy among us (such as myself). Buy it, try a couple of
projects in your backyard, and in a few years be sure to send Brad and me a
thank you note!”
- Kevin Dahl, Executive Director of Native Seeds/SEARCH and author of Wild
Foods of the Sonoran Desert and Native Harvest: Gardening with Authentic
Southwestern Crops

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] Radical rainwater, TradingPostPaul, 02/24/2007