livingontheland - [Livingontheland] more on greenhouse and season extension

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] more on greenhouse and season extension
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:32:43 -0700

Very on topic, anything and everything about greenhouses and season
extension in general. Last year I tried something new (for me) with plastic
draped over tomato transplants in beds inside a plastic covered greenhouse.
Started this setup in April with two months yet to go before last frost. I
had 2x3 frames over the beds to hold the plastic up off the tomatoes. It's
easy to fasten light support frames to wooden bed frames. I grew the
transplants in a smaller, warmer greenhouse against the house, heated by a
small electric heater. After succeeding with the double protection I
learned of Eliot Coleman's technique, using row covers over his greens
inside a greenhouse. He said he got the idea of "layering" from noticing
how people put on layers of clothing which they can remove or add to as
need arises. Covered beds can hold a lot of heat from the daytime. Here in
high desert central NM we have very wide diurnal swings, easily from the
teens at night to 50s or 60s daytime. So wherever we have enough sun and
warmth in the daytime, we look for ways to capture and store the heat
through the night. Certainly black stone or concrete will absorb and hold
more heat than dirt. Adding heat is expensive.

Since relocating here I've only got a small seedling greenhouse going, what
with everything else to do, about 8x12 footprint. We're getting two solid
days and nights of 55+ mph winds now, unbelievably aggravating. But the
greenhouse isn't even wobbling, built for high winds. With luck we can
afford to start adding on an 18x50 by April. Big IF.