livingontheland - [Livingontheland] RailRoad Ties

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Little Joe <schokaraoke@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] RailRoad Ties
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:08:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi, I'm Joe & I live in a subdivision outside of
Houston. I've been a Railroader for 36 years &
planning on retiring in 4 years. About 2 years ago we
got control of the family farm. My Brother runs cattle
on it now. In the furture I'm planning on building on
the land. For that reason I have been following all
the postings in this group with interest.

Now a little about RailRoad ties. About the only thing
anybody needs to know is stay away from them. Don't
get around them or have them on your property in any
way, shape or form. That's it.

Years ago you could just find out where a tie gang was
working & then go load up all you want. Not so any
more. All ties go to contractors now. Alot of the
contractors will bury the ties. They can do this if
they own the land where they are buring the ties. (No,
I'm not saying I agree with this) Because of 9/11 &
different laws that have been passed the only thing a
railraod employee can do is tell you to stay off the
property. If you trespass then the employees have to
call the RailRoad Special Agents.

Now my experience with ties. Years ago I built 2
"postage stamp" (20x20) size garden plots on my side
yard. I used railroad ties & stacked them 2 high. I
used the oldest ties I could find. I hauled in a
couple of loads of garden mix. I then planted nothing
but tomatoes. My garden took off & was doing great.
Then I noticed that everytime it rained that my plants
would stop growing for about a week. The plants final
ended up all dying. I loaded the ties back up & took
them back to the railroad!

What I'm getting at is that the cresote will never
completly "leach" out of the ties.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

  • [Livingontheland] RailRoad Ties, Little Joe, 02/16/2007