livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] raised beds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "jerry walker" <cubby149@vermontel.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] raised beds
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:37:35 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "BirdWalk" <birdwalk@frontiernet.net>
To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:26 PM
Subject: [Livingontheland] raised beds

Question

I have access to a nice stack of old railroad ties

Is it ok to use them for raised beds?
IMHO If they are old ties the bad stuff is probably

Leached out by now. If not it has dissipated to a low enough lever so as not to be a problem however if they're new-ish don't use them

Does the no till make a difference on this as I had heard migration of nasty
things from pressure treated wood was only a couple inches?

And what about pressure treated wood? I have a few areas that were built up
with landscape timbers for flowers I would like to ad some ornamental
veggies to.
Stick to the 2 " rule

Thanks

Lucile