livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Citrus in compost

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TamesonOB" <tamesonob@metrocast.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Citrus in compost
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:45:05 -0500

I was told no citrus for compost pile.

Rhoda,

Pishaw - that's all I have to say....No citrus is total bunk. You can compost anything that was once alive. The key of course is balance. I throw my citrus in the compost pile all the time. Rotten fruit that didn't get eaten fast enough and rinds alike with no problems. I will mention that they do take longer than say apple peels but they will break down. Perhaps the notion of no citrus circulating in the south has to do with the sheer abundance of the fruit and I can see how throwing in too much can offset the pile. We have way too many pine trees in this area (New England), and some people have difficulty with the balance of their compost piles due to too many pine needles. But they do break down eventually. If you need to compost some citrus just make sure the balance between green and brown offsets your citrus contribution and you;ll do just fine. Try reading a couple books on the subject too, like let it rot :

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Rot-Composting-Down-Earth/dp/1580170234/sr=1-1/qid=1171302083/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3502797-2699330?ie=UTF8&s=books

or the rodale book of composting:

http://www.amazon.com/Rodale-Book-Composting-Deborah-Martin/dp/0878579907/sr=1-2/qid=1171302133/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-3502797-2699330?ie=UTF8&s=books

(sorry for the wrapped links but these were both amazon queries 'cause they have pretty good reviews and the peek inside pages otherwise no affiliation yadda yadda)

HTH
Tameson in NH