livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:49:29 -0800 (PST)

Paul,
Points well taken. It always depends on what is readily available where you are. But when making the comparison of compost versus cover crops and mulch, the latter isn’t only superior in labour-efficiency, but also involves fewer losses of nutrients, especially N which volatizes quickly. With compost, a lot of nutrients are lost in particular during high-temperature composting. Well-cured compost of plant residues, great for improving soil, is useless as fertilizer.
Cover crops can of course be tricky. Last autumn I tried to grow clover, which had worked fine the previous year. I tried three times: first it was too dry, then the ants got the seed and finally it was too late. So now I’m stuck without a cover crop and very little compost into the bargain.

Regards,
Dieter Brand, Portugal

TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net> wrote:

Cover crops can take less work than compost, I agree. But the question of
which is better, I think, depends on what you need for what purpose. I
don't have time this year for cover crops, and manure is available nearby
and it's free. It's already there and if I don't use it then it's wasted. I
had vetch mixed with buckwheat but the rabbits dined on it during the dry
months. The beauty of buckwheat is it'll be winter killed where vetch would
have to be mowed for most plantings. I'm also mulching with aged manure,
and a foot of snow melting on the mulched beds won't hurt either.