livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of the soil
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:38:41 -0700

Cover crops can take less work than compost, I agree. But the question of
which is better, I think, depends on what you need for what purpose. I
don't have time this year for cover crops, and manure is available nearby
and it's free. It's already there and if I don't use it then it's wasted. I
had vetch mixed with buckwheat but the rabbits dined on it during the dry
months. The beauty of buckwheat is it'll be winter killed where vetch would
have to be mowed for most plantings. I'm also mulching with aged manure,
and a foot of snow melting on the mulched beds won't hurt either.