livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Picture of soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TamesonOB" <tamesonob@metrocast.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Picture of soil
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:42:17 -0500

Michael,

That's not very deep. I realize most crops feed off the top 4 inches, but that looks like it just barely made it. Are there issues with plants that have a longer tap root? Also, looks to me like the water would just run right through it, do you find that to be true? This is so foreign to me...my soil is black straight through to the end on the shovel - what's that? 8-10 inches at least? I can't imagine working with anything else. I feel bad for all those souls who have to.

Tameson in NH