livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The answers are in the land/ We have a lot farther to fall than Cuba

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Miranda <mirandaedel@charter.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The answers are in the land/ We have a lot farther to fall than Cuba
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:02:24 -0600

My grandmother recently told me the same thing. She lived in rural Montana during the depression. They were already self-sufficient, so it did not effect them. She does worry about my generation, however, because so many (in their 20s and 30s) know relatively little about growing or putting up food.  As a matter of fact, I know many people who don't know how to cook without a box. :(

Miranda

Hi All,

This was true in many cases...

I worked with an older gentleman who grew up on a farm
in the Canadian Maritimes.  He mentioned that someone
had asked him what it was like growing up during "The
Depression".  He was unaware that there had been a
"Depression" during those years, because nothing had
changed for his family.  They had candles and oil
lamps, and raised all their own food, hunted and
fished and foraged.

Mike

--- TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net> wrote:

As I like to remind us, in the Depression of the
30's farm families fared
better with food than their city cousins, and half
the population was still
rural then.