livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] rhizome inoculation

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] rhizome inoculation
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:48:10 -0600

I was wondering if anyone here has seen any results in nitrogen fixation from inoculating cowpea seed? But when I plant cowpeas and such, I'm not seeing any nodules.
I thought that I ought to try the inoculate this next spring. Any ideas?
Alan Whitaker
Georgiana, AL

I've received conflicting answers re inoc of cowpeas, some say "oh, just use the 'garden bean/pea inoc' combination," others that the vigna group (cowpeas, blackeyes, etc.) benefit from same rhizobia that associate w vetch, so use a vetch inoc.

But in any case, I grow so many cowpeas as covers that I think the rhizo's are pretty much resident in the soil here, and I get excellent results. Yes, I get plenty nodulation.

~Harvey in northern VA
www.themodernhomestead.us

  • Re: [Livingontheland] rhizome inoculation, Harvey Ussery, 11/28/2006