livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] winter and spring vegetables?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Wayne" <wa2yne@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] winter and spring vegetables?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:10:59 -0600

According to the USDA hardiness zone map, I seem to be barely in zone 7b, just near 8a.
I consider here to be in the Pecos River valley, only about 3 miles south of the river.
I wonder if I can try spinach here, would love fresh for salads.
Last time I tried Spinach was near Modesto, maybe planted it too late in the spring, as it didn't do well.
I plan on growing what I can, will have to irrigate most of the time, as it's been mostly dry here (no noticeable rain since Sept.), and even the Bermuda grass is browning (I don't water the grass to speak of).
I do want nice fresh stuff...
I may have some very early tomatos next year. I used some soil from some starter, that croaked back in August, to try and get a Hackberry seed to sprout. Instead I've had several tomato seeds sprout, two seem viable.
Plan to transplant to a couple of pots, maybe put on front porch on nice days, and put in ground or a bigger planter when all danger of frost is over. I had a seedling winter over back in Modesto that did produce a few tomatos when I finally put it in the ground. I also plan to make what had been an added room into a greenhouse of sorts, can use plastic sheeting to enclose it temporarily, once I get all the old carpeting out of there, and replace the 2x4 around the bottom with pressure treated lumber.
I'd like suggestions from anyone in west Texas as to what might grow for me here.
Soil seems to be alkaline, fizzes like crazy when I pour vinegar on it (did that where a cat pottied to discourage it from doing more). I should look for one of those PH testers like is used for aquariums and determine what the PH really is here. Can always add something (besides the compost and manure) to bring it where it's more suitable...
YMMV

Wayne WA2YNE
www.desert-rat.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>