livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] We have a lot farther to fall than Cuba

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] We have a lot farther to fall than Cuba
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:00:04 -0700

The cost of the other necessary equipment keeps going up, and rising demand
will make sure photovoltaic is more and more expensive. I agree man has
always adapted. Unfortunately large dieoffs have occurred throughout
history through war, plague, natural disasters, soil destruction, famine
and disease, and modern science can't stop any of these today. The bank of
fossilized ancient sunlight is running low and scarcity runs the price up.
We think gas is cheaper now but oil still stands at $60 a barrel where it
was $19 in 1999. Personally I'm more concerned about the worsening severity
of economic collapse than roving hordes after my garden. We stock up on the
basic foodstuffs. Most of those roving hordes won't know what to do with
the basics. They'll want McDooDoos or frozen pizzas!

Sad but true about the land. Fertility and soil structure ruined yes, but
half the topsoil itself is washed away or blown away. Which is why they
need a constant fix of chemicals, the land's drug addiction. Best I can do
is restore a small bit of it and make it healthy and productive. It'll be
growing when the chemical alfalfa and bean fields around us are nothing but
blowing dust.