livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Drought preparation

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Drought preparation
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:43:25 -0600

I'm working on the larger part of the  garden for the spring.

Many of you know we had a killer drought here in OK, and I'm not sure it's over!

It was very sobering to realize that if we had really had to live on the soil this year, I would have had to write the book, "1001 ways to live on Habaneros and Goat Milk" because that was pretty nearly all we were getting.  Habaneros loved the hot and dry - every gardener seemed to have them! Even the old standby Zucchini was as rare this year as it usually is ubiquitous!  Farmers' stands were frighteningly empty in July and August, and some were selling produce that in other years would have been fed to the hogs!

Anyway, I'm interested in suggestions for soil preparation with our clay that will encourage that whatever little rain we get is maximized, and any other ideas of how we can prepare for what may be another rough year! Although we've had a bit more rain this fall, it has been very sparse and hasn't refilled the cattle wallows yet.

As always, thanks,
Laurie Ann