livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Sugar Loaf Delicata squash?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Sugar Loaf Delicata squash?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:04:16 -0700

Anyone growing Sugar Loaf Delicata squash? How long does it keep in cool
storage? Mother
carried this piece about "cream of the crops" veggies December/January
2003. We found Sugar Loaf even better tasting than Lakota or Sweet
Meat which we've grown before. No flavoring needed. One baked in halves is
just right for the two of us.

' SUGAR LOAF' WINTER SQUASH
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Livestock_and_Farming/2002_December_January/C

ream_of_the_Crops

This is by far the sweetest -inter squash yet developed. Baked. it seems
almost candied, as though cooked down with lots of brown sugar or honey.
Kids who normally hate winter squash gobble this one up like dessert.

Developed in 1990 by plant breeder Dr. James R. Baggett of Oregon State
University, 'Sugar Loaf is far superior to its close relatives 'Delicata'
and 'Sweet Meat.' Highly productive vines produce blocky, uniform fruits
about 6 inches long, making half a squash a perfect serving.

Although sometimes listed in catalogs as a good keeper, its high sugar
content renders 'Sugar Loaf a rather poor keeper. especially - when kept in
warmer temperatures, so the harvest should be used during the first half of
winter.
------------

We were given some to sample at Schwebach Farm near us
http://www.schwebachfarm.com/squash2.html

Sugar Loaf Delicata
Storage: 3 to 4 months. Flavor profile: The finely textured orange yellow
flesh is very sweet and tender. Cooking: Bake halves for 20 to 30 minutes.
A favorite with cinnamon apples.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
------------------------------------

The famous quote

"It is inconceivable to me that an ethical relation to land can exist
without love, respect, and admiration for land, and a high regard for its
value. By value, I of course mean something far broader than mere economic
value; I mean value in the philosophical sense... A thing is right when it
tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic
community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise."
-- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac
http://www.wilderness.org/AboutUs/Leopold.cfm?TopLevel=About

  • [Livingontheland] Sugar Loaf Delicata squash?, TradingPostPaul, 11/10/2006