livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Hoop House of PVC vs Metal vs bamboo

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Zachary Domikez <zdomike@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Hoop House of PVC vs Metal vs bamboo
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:37:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I also have built a number of greenhouses, and I
dislike PVC because it is made brittle by the sun.
Even fresh PVC has not stood up to the occasional
dtiff gales. It is also non-renewable.

The other suggestion was metal - rusts; High
embodied energy; does not bounce back from
deformation.

My favorite support is hoop of bamboo. It is best to
dry the bamboo in a vertical position, helps it
maintain strength equally on all sides. I protect the
plastic film from roughness with a winding of inner
tube or just electrical tape on the arch. For severe
winds, i used a herringbone pattern that is elegant
and held up very well, with a winding of inner tube to
tie the intersecting arches. Plant some for a
renewable structure!

Protecting the plants from the cold is essential, but
much more complicated than a simple hoop house.
Probably an incomplete list of other considerations
that can ruin your plantings:

1. Irrigation
2. Pollenization (lack of bees)
3. Overheating
4. Inattention!

Regards,
Zachary

> From: Nancy Babbitt <nbabbitt2003@mac.com>
> Subject: end of growing season
>
> Use metal conduit, not PVC. PVC reacts with the
> plastic and the plastic will not last. I know,
from expensive experience.