livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Drought Farming Example

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Drought Farming Example
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:06:13 -0600

We caught Brad's talk about the man when we stopped by Plants of the
Southwest nursery a while back. Unfortunately, we don't have 30 years to
develop a system like Mr. Phiri. What we need in this country is the wide
spread of productive, sustainable food growing practices, and we need that
right now. IMHO the best way to conserve water is to develop
moisture-retentive soil through composting and cover crops. All those ideas
and philosophies they put under the permaculture label are nice for those
with plenty of time and money. I have neither. Nor does our society.