livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Pastoral ideals are getting trampled

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Pastoral ideals are getting trampled
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 11:50:54 -0700

At 10:38 AM -0600 10/8/06, TradingPostPaul wrote:
That piece I sent on from Business Week turns out to be a not-so-subtle
slap at organic or sustainable growing. Why am I not surprised?....

"While Americans may love the idea of natural food, they have come to rely
on the perks of agribusiness. Since the widespread use of synthetic
pesticides began, around the time of World War II, food producers have
reaped remarkable gains. Apples stay red and juicy for weeks...."

Nor does the article mention that "organic" foods are becoming more popular because corporate-produced foods are tasteless. Those shiny red unblemished apples are not worth eating. I don't eat tomatoes or apples out of season, because I've tasted the real thing (ugly Ashmead's Kernel apples from the farmers' market! heirloom tomatoes from my garden!), and I don't eat any animal products, so I guess I'm not benefiting from "the perks of agribusiness."

I think the most important food trend of the last 20 years is farmers' markets and the recognition that buying locally often yields the best quality. Of course, BW ignores that trend and tries to paint "organic" as the opposite of "corporate," rather than "local" as the opposite of "corporate."