livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] dwindled way of life

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@dotnet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] dwindled way of life
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 12:06:31 -0500

"The soul of the ploughboy ain't worth the soul of the paper boy." -Wendell Berry, "What Are People For?"

Well put, Laurie Ann. We can't compete with the Spectacle when it comes to the hearts and minds of the children, but the problem isn't the Spectacle, it's the competing. We are all in this together: humans, birds, trees, fish, microbes. The proof that we are all connected is already available, so why do our institutions still insist upon the 'sanctity' of certain parts of the ecosystem over others?
I suspect it has to do with the fact that only humans can handle money. The cows have been turned into dying workers in an ammonia factory, but they can't organize for better working conditions or wages.
I tried to explain it to someone last night this way: A grassfed cow should live to 12-15 years old. The factory farm cow lives to be 4, maybe 5 on the OUTSIDE, so what people are drinking in the stores is milk from a dying animal.

It's insane, but we will be the ones branded 'dissidents' and locked away in Halliburton jails for 'crimes against the economy', and the masses will cheer the Solution while they shop at "Always Low Prices".

Dan

Message: 4