livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] A FARMER FEARS HIS WAY OF LIFE HAS DWINDLED ...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] A FARMER FEARS HIS WAY OF LIFE HAS DWINDLED ...
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:59:27 -0600

You got it, Laurie Ann. If we think it over, for most of us life is defined
by institutions, mostly corporate. We're like fish in water, unaware that
water exists. The fish has never known life outside water so it has nothing
to compare it to. We live in institutions from birth, hospitals and medical
professionals certified by their own institutions. We go to corporate
preschools, then on to government "public" schools or private schools, and
maybe colleges. In the meantime we're exposed to a hundred thousand
commercials promoting the profits of corporate entities we have no voice
in. We're pushed into all sorts of organizations to promote certain
approved values, from Girl Scouts to FFA. When we marry we pay for all
sorts of corporate products that are assumed necessary for appearances, and
we get permission from local governments that license us to marry. We work
for corporations or government 90% of the time, and invest in corporate
securities that finance their dominance over us - through our retirement
plans and health insurance. Our health care means just paying corporations
to cover some of our medicals, and drug corporations rip us off every
doctor visit. When we die, a corporate funeral home buries us in a
corporate or nonprofit cemetery.

All of this insulates us from the natural world and makes it literally
invisible. I think it was back in the 50's when it became popular to take
the family for a drive in the country to "see nature". But they lost touch
and most never knew what living on the land felt like.

--Henry David Thoreau