livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Potatoes in tires

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Juanita Reid" <goatrock@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Potatoes in tires
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 06:09:04 -0400

Rebecca, sorry your experience with growing potatoes in tires turned out
badly. I have raised potatoes in ties in Washington state as well as
Arkansas and while Washington is cool and rainy it made good (big) potatoes
and lots of them all the way up to the top of the 4 tires used. In
Arkansas, the experiment was also very positive and very large potatoes
were grown in the tires. I think one of the things that made this a
success was we used soil rather than the hay or straw. We did add grass
clipping once in a while along with the soil.

I have grown potatoes in Minnesota by throwing seed potatoes on
un-disturbed earth and covering them with horse bedding hay from my
neighbors farm. That made good potatoes also. I just had to keep adding
horse bedding hay as a weed would appear. I just lifted the hay back over
the weed(s) and the potato bed was kept weed free. I did not use the hay
with manure -- the manure was removed since I had read that fresh manure
would cause scab on potatoes. The manure was needed for my very active
compost pile.

Juanita Reid
goatrock@earthlink.net