livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Seed starting medium

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: pete <pete.rout@virgin.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Seed starting medium
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:38:12 +0100

Making leafmould is very simple. Gather leaves up in autumn and make into a big pile. You can make a wire frame to hold the leaves or you can put them into a big plastic bag. The leaves must be wet and compacted . Leave them for two years and it will be ready for use. It breaks down due to the action of moulds. If using bags make holes in the base of the bag. It can be processed in half the time by spreading the leaves on a lawn and running a lawnmower over them to chop them up and mix with the mowings. If you use a wire cage you can take the cage away after 12 months and reuse for the next batch. For seed sowing sieve the leafmould other wise use it as it is. It is also very useful if you have clay soil by sowing seeds such as carrot in drills and covering with the leafmould. Bob reckons that germination is improved by using leafmould as a seed sowing compost or mixed into your usual compost.
Pete

> Have you tried making and using leafmould?
> Bob Flowerdew, one of the top organic growers in the UK, says that it
> works well.
> Pete

How does one make leafmould? I've heard of getting it from the woods
(which I'm reluctant to do--the forest needs it), and I get large
quantities of oak leaves from a neighbor, and I can imagine sifting the
stuff at the bottom of the pile after it's sat over winter.

How does Bob F make leafmould?

Thanks.

~Harvey

--