livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] World May Be Up for A Drastic Shortfall In Food Stocks

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] World May Be Up for A Drastic Shortfall In Food Stocks
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:43:22 -0500 (CDT)

"Falling" fertility rates means nothing/zero/nada! This is a one-sided
statement in a multi-dimensional problem. Decreasing death rates (median age
at death) can significantly alter any gains in decreased fertility rates.
Further, these statements are sorely lacking a time component. Any changes
must, at a minimum, be calculated over the course of one generation; not
until a full generation has been stable will the effects be seen:
translation: it will take roughly 70 years after net population changes are
established before populations stabilize.

For more information on how this all works I encourage people to catch one of
Dr. Albert Barlett's lectures. The gist is that overpopulation IS the
problem, and that it's far more pervasive than you think.

And feeding MORE people isn't going to become easier through some magic of
switching over to organic processing. Organics will happen because of
dwindling fossil fuels (that is, unless one happens to think that this is
also some big conspiracy theory).

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA