livingontheland - [Livingontheland] unusual seed sources

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] unusual seed sources
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:52:58 -0600

Seedsaving and Seedsavers' Resources
http://homepage.eircom.net/~merlyn/seedsaving.html

Association Kokopelli
http://www.terredesemences.com/

Saving Our Seed Project
http://www.savingourseed.org/pages/ResourceGuide.html

Saving Plant Genetic Resources - Why?

"Seeds are critical to our success as gardeners and farmers. They are
compact packages of genetic information and stored food reserves, just
waiting for the conditions found in warm, moist soil in order to germinate
and create tomatoes, carrots, beans and thousands of other delights out of
sunshine, air, water and soil. For most of the last ten thousand years of
human history, seed-saving was something nearly everyone practiced, because
in order to eat and therefore to survive, it was necessary. The grains and
beans which formed the basis of most diets were both seed and food. Grown
in large quantities, the best were saved for planting and the rest were
eaten. Our ancestors did this each year, generation after generation
through the centuries. Variations in climate, soil and techniques from
garden to garden and community to community, accumulated through the years,
creating the incredible diversity which existed over much of our planet
well into this century. These local seeds were integral to life and culture
everywhere. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these varieties has
disappeared."
>From Bill Duesing - Living on the Earth ©1999

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

Beware of all enterprises that require government funding
-- me